Saturday, June 9, 2012

HOW "VIM" IS THE KING OF ALL IDE's

I used "source insight" for more than 15 months and I just loved the tool and just cannot imagine writing a code without it but then my life changed a little bit and I have to start working on a red hat machine so no source insight.

At start I found it to be very difficult to survive without it but later on doing some search over Internet I found some tools which can save my life while coding on Linux . Some of those life saver tools were cscope, Ctags, etc but the tool on which all these work the king of all Vi/VIM/GVIM. After 6 months of work on gvim now I no longer miss source insight.

The learning curve on vim is quite steep there are loads of stuff you can do on it which you a cannot think of doing on any other IDE. The Internet is full with the tutorials and tips and tricks for these tools. It just took me few weeks to be comfortable with them and use them flawlessly.

So I think I will write an article on tips and tricks I use on vim a collection of all the tricks I accumulate in last 5-6 months. Will try to do that in coming days keep looking for that in this space.


A word of caution for all those who are looking forward to using these awesome tools they are very addictive. Nowadays even when I try to save my MS word doc I try to do it with ":w"(all those who use vim will get the joke ;) )........


Do leave comments about how you feel about these wonderful tools ... Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment